A message from the President on COVID-19
The ANZSN continues to closely monitor the latest information on the COVID-19 outbreak recognising our Society’s membership is part of the medical efforts being put in place to help contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
The wellbeing of our patients, our colleagues and the broader community is foremost in our minds and our thoughts go out to all affected by and working on the front line to manage the response to the virus.
If Members have any questions or would like access to planning documents or specific expertise as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, then please contact the ANZSN Office at email@example.com.
COVID-19 vaccination – Eligibility declaration form
FAQs on COVID-vaccine
A patient-focused FAQ document on COVID-vaccine developed by our COVID-19 Working Group, led by Dr Shilpa Jedudason, has been provided to our patient-facing stakeholder groups.
ANZSN COVID-19 Vaccination NZ Position Statements
ANZSN in collaboration with KHNZ and RSA has released this week two COVID-19 statements in Aotearoa – New Zealand.
COVID-19 Forum # 7 – Vaccination Information for Kidney Healthcare Workers
Thank you to everyone who joined our Forum on 24 February.
I also want to thank Dr Peter Boan who presented on COVID-19 vaccination for patients with kidney disease or kidney transplantation, with a focus on the vaccination rollout plan in Australia, types of vaccines and variants of concern.
Watch Dr Boan’s presentation (PowerPoint presentation recording) below. You can get a copy of the PowerPoint file here.
Based on feedback provided by Forum participants, the Society will now consider how it can assist with:
- developing additional patient/consumer information around COVID-19 vaccination for kidney patients
- developing information sheets for healthcare professionals around COVID-19 vaccination
- exploring if further evidence is being created around the efficacy and side-effects of COVID-19 vaccination in kidney patients
Transplant Talk – COVID Vaccinations for Transplant Recipients and Dialysis Patients
Transplant Australia’s webinar held on 17 February, with presenters Professor Steve Chadban and Dr Peter Boan can be found here.
COVID-19 Vaccination Related Research
With the COVID-19 vaccinations about to commence there are many opportunities for research in this area on patients with kidney disease. While the ANZSN does not have funding to support this research there may be an opportunity that the COVID-19 Working Group could help facilitate any groups that want to lead a research project. Please send an email to the ANZSN at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a project in mind that we can help facilitate.
ANZDATA Registry report on positive SARS-CoV-2 results among the chronic dialysis and kidney transplant population in Australia and New Zealand – 2 March 2021
No new cases reported this week (as at 02/03/2021)
- 34 Confirmed cases - 13 dialysis patients and 21 kidney recipients
- 0 Active cases
- 9 Deaths - 7 dialysis patients and 2 kidney recipient
For New Zealand:
- There remains fewer than 5 reported cases in Aotearoa New Zealand
TSANZ - Communiques
The TSANZ’s National Transplantation and Donation Rapid Response Taskforce Weekly Communique No 30 can be found here.
Resources to help plan and respond to COVID-19
The ANZSN COVID-19 Working Group has developed key checklists to assist renal unit senior management teams in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand prepare for and manage the COVID-19 pandemic:
- ANZSN COVID-19 Dialysis Preparedness Checklist
- ANZSN COVID-19 Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Preparedness Checklist
- ANZSN and RSA COVID-19 Workforce Preparedness Checklist - Monitoring and Managing Health Care Workers (HCWs)
- Joint ANZSN and RSA Statement – Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) recommendations for staff and patients in haemodialysis units
- Joint Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, Renal Society of Australasia and Kidney Health Australia Position Statement: Priorities for COVID-19 vaccination in adult and paediatric patients with kidney disease and health care workers, which can be found here.
- JOINT COVID-19 Vaccination Position Statement for Australian Patients with Kidney Disease or Kidney Transplants, which can be found here.
Working with Governments to ensure a coordinated response
The ANZSN will continue to work with its Members and advocate with the Australian and New Zealand governments on key matters relating to COVID-19.
Working with Industry to secure dialysis supplies
We remain in contact with all the major suppliers of dialysis fluids and consumables to encourage them to review and secure their supply chains in readiness.
Keeping abreast of developments
As the situation with COVID-19 continues to unfold we encourage our Members to keep abreast of developments, particularly within your own jurisdiction.
It is recommended that you refer to your local health department website (links below) to ensure that you are accessing the most recent resources, updates and information.
The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)
A list of the initiatives that the RACP is leading on behalf of its Members in response to the COVID-19 pandemic can be found here.
Information for patients and carers
Kidney patients and their carers can find information on COVID-19 at the following websites:
- Kidney Health Australia: https://kidney.org.au/
- Kidney Health New Zealand: https://www.kidney.health.nz/
- Transplant Society of Australia and New Zealand: https://www.tsanz.com.au/