ANZSN Travel Awards Policy
One of the key goals of the Society is to ensure that the highest professional standards are maintained for the research and practice of Nephrology in Australia and New Zealand by supporting and promoting renal research and education.
To achieve this goal, the Society, with some assistance of its sponsors, provides a number of travel awards for its Members to attend national and international meetings, or other development opportunities relevant to the study of the kidney and urinary tract in health and disease.
Awards are intended to support Members who are enrolled in a full-time higher degree (PhD, Masters or equivalent), Advanced Trainees in Nephrology (Clinical Registrars) or other Clinical Trainees involved in the area of Nephrology, and academic members involved in early to mid-career research (no greater than 10 years post PhD excluding career interruptions) full time research roles. Further details regarding eligibility and how to apply are described below.
The category of Travel Awards available to ANZSN Members include:
- ANZSN Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) Travel Awards
- International Travel Awards – to attend major Nephrology Meetings
- Special Purpose Travel Award – to support travel funds to other Nephrology Meetings, Forums, Training Courses, Workshops or visits to host Laboratories/Institutions
2. Membership Financial Support Limit
Members may receive a maximum of two ANZSN ASM Travel Awards, one International Travel Award and one Special Purpose Travel Award during the period of their membership of the ANZSN. Only one award is allowed per annum (financial year).
3. Application Process
The Society provides an application form which needs to be completed. Applications for specific meetings are called for during the relevant meeting's abstract submission and/or registration process. Further details are available on the website and also within the ANZSN Weekly Update.
- ANZSN ASM Travel Award – three (3) months before the abstract closing date
- International Travel Award - three (3) months before the abstract closing date
- Special Purpose Travel Award – three (3) months before the start date of the Meeting, Forum, Training Course, Workshop or visit to host Laboratory/Institution
Late applications will not be accepted.
All applications will be evaluated by the Society’s Scientific Program and Awards Committee (SPAC). Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email.
If applications received by the Society exceed available funding, priority will be given to those not previously supported.
Note: If applying for an ASM Travel Grant or an International Travel Grant, there will be no discrimination between oral and poster presentations in considering the grant application.
4. Value of Travel Awards
The amount of travel grant funding is dependent upon available funds and is at the discretion of the ANZSN Council within the principle of distributing funds fairly to the membership. Awards are not intended to cover the full cost of meeting attendance but provide a contribution towards the overall costs.
The ANZSN does not provide any kind of insurance for the recipients of grant funding and it is the responsibility of travel grant recipients to insure themselves against any possible costs and consequences arising from illness, accident, personal liability and the like.
- ANZSN ASM Travel Award – up to $800
- International Travel Awards to major Nephrology Meetings – up to $2,000
- Special Purpose Travel Award – up to $1,000
Note: The amount of the award will be determined by the Society at its absolute discretion, with the amount informed by the actual cost of attendance at the Meeting, Forum, Training Couse, Workshop or visit to host Laboratory/Institution. Applicants are required to submit a budget to support their award application.
5. Payment of Travel Awards
- ANZSN ASM Travel Awards – payment will be made to successful applicants at the ASM, upon presentation to ANZSN staff.
- International Travel Awards - payment will be made as soon as practically possible upon approval of funding.
- Special Purpose Travel Award – payment will be made as soon as practically possible upon approval of funding.
Note: Where monies are paid in advance, and a recipient is unable to attend, the award must be refunded to the ANZSN as soon as possible. A failure to refund the monies in a reasonable time may mean that the recipient’s membership of the ANZSN is forfeited.
6. Overall Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for an ANZSN Travel Award, the applicant must:
- have been a Member of the ANZSN for a minimum of 12 months by the date of the meeting;
- be a current financial Member i.e. the current year’s subscription fees have been paid and there are no outstanding arrears at the time of application;
- not exceeded the Membership Financial Support Limit as specified above;
- be a full-time student enrolled in a higher degree (PhD, Masters), registrar in training or in a non-clinical full-time research position (eg post-doctoral scientist within 10 years of PhD completion relative to opportunity);
- disclose any other funding source for the same and demonstrate that total support is not greater than the cost to attend the meeting;
- ensure that their complete application is received by the Society at least three (3) months before the abstract closing day (ANZSN ASM and International Nephrology Meetings Travel Awards) or three (3) months before the start date of the Meeting, Forum, Training Course or Workshop or visit to host Laboratory/Institution (Special Purpose Travel Award);
- provide an itinerary for the proposed travel and supportive documentation including conference abstract, abstract acceptance/ registration at meeting/forum/ training course or workshop or acknowledgement from host / institution of proposed visit incorporating the dates and purpose of the visit and a budget with the relevant documentation to support the application.
7. Specific Eligibility Criteria
ANZSN Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) Travel Award
To be eligible for an ASM Travel Award, the applicant must:
- be the presenting author of an abstract accepted for oral or poster presentation at the ANZSN Annual Scientific Meeting;
- ensure the application is received at least three (3) months before the abstract closing day
- not live within the local vicinity ( ~ 50km) of where the ANZSN Annual Meeting is being held; and
- attend the ASM and present their abstract.
Note: ASM Travel Award recipients must attend the ASM. Travel Awards will not be awarded to those who only attend the ANZSN Nephrology and Transplant Update Course which precedes the ASM.
International Travel Award to major Nephrology Meetings
To be eligible for an International Travel Award, the applicant must:
- be the presenting author of an abstract accepted for oral or poster presentation at an international primarily nephrology-oriented meeting;
- ensure the application is received at least three (3) months before the abstract closing day ; and
- attend the Nephrology meeting and present their abstract.
Special Purpose Travel Award -Travel Awards to attend Other Meetings, Forums, Training Course, Workshop, host Laboratory/Institution Visit
To be eligible for a Special Purpose Travel Award, the applicant must demonstrate how their attendance at the meeting/forum/ training course, workshop or host laboratory/institution visit:
- directly relevant to Nephrology in Australia and New Zealand;
- will specifically benefit both the applicant’s research and education as well as other members of the Society; and
- how they will disseminate this work to the benefit of Society members as a whole.
8. Travel Award Report
A condition of funding is that all grant recipients are required to submit a report (300 words) to the Honorary Executive Officer at (email@example.com) describing key outcomes and highlights. This report will be shared with Society Members via the ANZSN Newsletter, Weekly Update and/or Website.
An award recipient who fails to provide a report within six weeks of the Meeting, Forum, Training Course or Workshop or Laboratory/Institution visit, will be required to refund the travel award to the ANZSN. If the refund is not received within the specified time, membership of the ANZSN may be forfeited.
9. How to Apply
Click here to download the Travel Award Application form.
Please note that you must attach a copy of the following to your application:
- your submitted abstract, as applicable (ASM Travel Award or an International Travel Award); and
- the budget and itinerary (all awards) setting out the costs and program associated with attending the Meeting, Forum, Training Course, Workshop or Laboratory/Institution visit.
The completed application will also need to be signed by your Supervisor, whose signature attests to the correctness of the application details and that you are known to them.
The completed and signed form (by both parties) should be emailed to the Honorary Executive Officer at email: firstname.lastname@example.org.